Darn Good Yarn Subscription Box Review
Please note that I am an affiliate for Darn Good Yarn and this page may include affiliate links. By making a purchase through the link, YGB Crafts earns a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog =)
What is Darn Good Yarn?
Darn Good Yarn is totally unique in their mission, production, and sourcing techniques. I love that DGY is an ethical company and it makes me feel good about supporting them!
According to their website, they have 5 goals (edited for length but you can read the full goals here):
1 – Support sustainable and fair jobs around the globe
2 – Source products that promote job creation for individuals who are marginalized and under-served so that they can provide food, education, and healthcare for their families.
3 – Continually improve safe and humane working environments.
4 – Focus on sourcing products that benefit disadvantaged populations.
5 – Sourcing products that have a reclaimed or recycled element, whenever it is commercially feasible.
DGY offers monthly knitting & crocheting subscription boxes for $10 a month (+ shipping and handling). You can purchase your own subscription box here and use coupon code YOUNGGRANNYB15 for 15% off!
I tried the DGY subscription box in May 2019.
Full transparency: I received this kit free of charge in exchange for an honest review and social media posts. I was more than happy to oblige!
I did my very first unboxing video for this subscription box!
What is Included?
Included in the first subscription box are:
- Ethically sourced yarn
- Pattern booklet, which contains info about DGY, one knit pattern, and one crochet pattern
- An ombre crochet hook and ombre knitting needles – they are gorgeous!
Personally, I chose the knitting pattern: Snow Big Deal Cowl, by Nicole Snow. It was perfect for the included yarn.
Pros and Cons of the Yarn Subscription Box
- The yarn broke twice while I was working on it, which was super frustrating
- I wasn’t too thrilled with the knitting needles.
- They don’t feel sturdy and I was worried they would snap.
- The point was very sharp and I had to avoid it, which I never experienced with other needles.
- Although I love the purple ombre look, it is located in a bad place. The bottom completely rubbed off while I was working on this project.
- I might use my own knitting needles for future DGY projects
- Requires blocking with white vinegar and water solution. I have never done this before so it is a little daunting. I have to be honest – I still haven’t taken this step. I’m so worried about the cowl smelling like vinegar!
- The crochet hook and needles don’t have their size listed on them, but the size is included in the booklet
- DGY is an ethical company that uses a business model based on morals. It’s not something you find often!
- The yarn is made from recycled materials, so it is eco-friendly
- The yarn is so soft!
- The provided yarn was very colorful and pretty
- The subscription box is pretty affordable at only $10 for materials and design
- The patterns are included so you don’t have to scour the internet looking for the right design for this material and length
- The tools are included in the first box
- There is just enough yarn to finish the project with no awkward leftovers
- There is no contract – skip a month or cancel whenever you want
I think this subscription box is 100% worth it! I don’t have a subscription of my own just yet – but that is mostly because I already have 4 large bins full of yarn that I want to use up before purchasing more yarn. Once my yarn inventory lowers and I have more space I would love to get on board and receive monthly boxes!
To purchase your own subscription box click here and use coupon code YOUNGGRANNYB15 for 15% off!
Have you heard of DGY before? Do you have your own subscription? Leave a comment below!